9.16.2008

Digital Anthropology


Reflections of a Digital Anthropologist

I have worked in the Anchorage School District as a Substitute Teacher for about 9 years and have been able to experience the technological differences between many of the schools. I think Romig Middle School, the school where I am doing my internship, lacks many of the technological tools available at other middle schools in the district. There are no Smart Boards in the school and many teachers are still using old overhead projectors.

There is, however, a forward thinking attitude among many of the staff members that has moved them to find creative ways to acquire new technology and to utilize what technology is available. The school is also fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and helpful “computer guy.” When I needed grading software installed on my computer I felt very comfortable asking for his assistance; he also took the time to answer many of the questions for this assignment.

I am looking forward to the upcoming school year and discovering ways that I can incorporate technology into my lessons. I know that although I am a novice in the area of technology there are many great people at Romig who are willing to help me in my quest to learn new things.

Read full report

No comments: