12.17.2008

Energy Conservation Project PowerPoint


Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

For my project I researched an aspect of one of my passions…reading. I love to read and I love to buy books. There is no better feeling then sitting in a cafĂ© on a snowy afternoon lost in a good book, or going to a bookstore with time to waste and money to spend. Although there may be other things out there that have greater impacts on the environment, such as plastic bottles and paper cups, the book publishing industry, and the consumers of the books they produce, does leave a significant footprint on our environment. In 2006, there were over 3 billion books sold in the US. I estimated that I purchase about 120 books per year. Each of these books uses trees, water, and energy to produce. One of the biggest factors in reducing the environmental impact of book publishing is the use of recycled paper. Unfortunately, only between 5%-10% of the paper currently being used by the book publishing industry is recycled paper. To learn more about the book publishing industry and how you can make a difference view my PowerPoint and spreadsheet.

No comments: